The departmental core value is aligned with that of the University and includes the following:
- Students: We believe the education, development, empowerment, and welfare of our students are the primary focus of our efforts.
- Excellence: Excellence is our goal in all our endeavors.
- Integrity: Engineering research, education, and practice all demand the highest moral and ethical standards.
- Collegiality: A collegial, collaborative and welcoming environment is vital to our success.
- Innovation: The culture of innovation in civil engineering education and research is an important foundation for our contribution to the field.
- Continuous improvement: Continuous improvement is essential to accomplish our goals.
- Community Engagement: Engagement with campus, public, and professional communities is important to our strength and vitality.